Friday, July 13, 2007

Maps of Bosnia-Hercegovina

Here is a map os Bosnia-Hercegovina so you can see where the country is located in Europe.



Here you can see Bosnia-Hercegovina and also Croatia, so so you can see the Bosnian capital Sarajevo, where I am now, and you can see Mostar, where I will be tomorrow. I am also planning to visit Vukovar in northeastern Croatia (near Osijek, not shown on this map unfortunately). Vukovar was heavily impacted by the war and was only returned to Croatia (after being conquered by Serbia) in 1998.



This is a map showing the ethnic constellation before the war (in 1991).



And this is the ethnic constellation after the war (in 1998). So you can see that the genocide carried out here had very significant impact on the locations where people of different ethnicities reside within the country.



On the last 2 maps, you can see the towns of Tuzla and Zenica which were hit hard during the war and particularly were affected by sexual violence and mass rape. i am planning to visit these communities and meet with women's groups in the area with the hope of making connections for my dissertation research.

No comments:

About Me

I am currently pursuing a PhD in Social Welfare at Berkeley, concentrating in local, national and international responses to large-scale disasters, wars, and genocide. To me, social work is not a job. It is a way of life, a faith, and a daily practice. My mother is a social worker and I was instilled with social work values as a young child. I carry those values of respect and compassion for other human beings, the importance of service and integrity, and these values lead me to endorse Barack Obama for President of the United States. Barack Obama represents a new and positive vision for the future of America. He is honest, hard-working, and unafraid to face the nuanced and complex problems of our country and our interconnected world. I am proud to support a candidate who will truly bring change for the American people and for all members of the world community.

What did you know about Bosnia before Ruby took this trip?