Thursday, July 26, 2007

I'm Going (going) Back (back) to Cali

Hopefully things will go better there than they did for Biggie Smalls when he uttered these words... I am sure they will. But I have had that song in my head all day and so I thought it was a funny and appropriate title for this blog post...

Tomorrow I catch a cab at the ungodly hour of 4:45 am to catch my 6:50am flight. No less than two connecting flights later, Toshi will pick me up at SFO! I am very excited to get back to him and to my life in California. I miss my guitar and I want to have soy milk again. And i guess it will be nice to have a meal that does not consist of cheese, meat, and/or pastry dough (that is what most Bosnian food consists of). A note for vegetarians: Today I saw "meat salad" on the menu and I laughed out loud. What a contradiction in terms!

I bought a Bosnian cookbook (in English!), so I won't have to do without my beloved Sarajevo plate (meat, potatoes, stuffed veggies, dolmas in yummy sauce). And I even bought my own beautiful version of the plate it is cooked and served in (handmade by the guy I bought it from), so I am really prepared to bring a little bit of Bosnia-Hercegovina home with me. I am also bringing Bosnian coffee (a traditional Bosnian gift) for friends and family.

Of course I am already planning when I will return to Sarajevo next (maybe in the spring or next summer?). And I am plotting about how to get more of you to come with me next time!

I will miss Sarah and I will miss Sarajevo and all the wonderful things about this place and the amazing people who call Bosnia their home (hopefully someday I will be one of them!). Lejla (our cultural emissary/translator) said to call her next time I come to Sarajevo and I promised she will be the first one I call. What a wonderful woman and a kind friend. I will miss her very much!

Here is a photo of Lejla and I eating an incredible lunch (probably one of the best meals we had on the trip) in Tuzla.

And here is the photo of the three of us (taken by a very nice waiter) at that same wonderful lunch. I wanted you to see the three of us all together. We really make such a great team! I am sad to leave these amazing women, but I am looking forward to hearing about their work and their successes. Sarah is really blazing new ground with her work on fertility and reproductive choices after genocide.

At this lunch, I had the distinct privilege of eating Pura for the first time (a traditional Bosnian food made from cornmeal with sour cream-type stuff on top). It kind of reminds me of Paella but better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad I got to see this beautiful country, like you I hope to return. Its left a mark on me forever!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ruby -
I got my MSW at UCB in the 80's and read the recent page in that UCB pamphlet when it came in the mail. I just finished looking through most of your blog and I am so appreciative that you have shared your process and story so eloquently. It made my world alot bigger and opened my eyes! Thank you for your commitment and passion. Good luck!

Louise

About Me

I am currently pursuing a PhD in Social Welfare at Berkeley, concentrating in local, national and international responses to large-scale disasters, wars, and genocide. To me, social work is not a job. It is a way of life, a faith, and a daily practice. My mother is a social worker and I was instilled with social work values as a young child. I carry those values of respect and compassion for other human beings, the importance of service and integrity, and these values lead me to endorse Barack Obama for President of the United States. Barack Obama represents a new and positive vision for the future of America. He is honest, hard-working, and unafraid to face the nuanced and complex problems of our country and our interconnected world. I am proud to support a candidate who will truly bring change for the American people and for all members of the world community.

What did you know about Bosnia before Ruby took this trip?