Thursday, July 19, 2007

Frizerski Za Zene (Women's Hairdresser)

I had a cultural experience the other night (it is amazing how everyday things can become a learning and growing experience). My hair grows ridiculously fast, and it was starting to get very shaggy (my friend –and Toshi’s cousin-- Rebekah cut it so stylishly before I left for my first trip to the region). Normally I am VERY picky about letting someone cut my hair, but I figured it really needed a trim, so I would trust in the universe (and the Bosnian hairdresser).

Sarah got a little trim and that seemed to go well, so I gestured about where I wanted my hair cut short and where to leave it long.

I had the most vigorous and fantastic shampoo of my life with a fruity smelling shampoo and conditioner. There was a young lady who washed and blowdried my hair and an older guy who actually cut it.

He seemed to be the “master stylist” and she seemed to be in training. They were an amazing “tag-team” because one of them would be working on another person then they would switch off.

After my hair was cut, they spent a good long time blowdrying it (I have so much thick hair it takes forever to dry, even though it is short now). They put a mountain of mousse in my hair (so much mousse… definitely the pile of it was bigger than my head). I tried to protest, but the Bosnian stylist was having none of it. He ignored me and continued making me in to one of the “beautiful people.”


After all this mousse and blowdrying my hair completely straight, he made a cool zigzag part and then used hairspray too. I don’t think I have had mousse OR hairspray in my hair since I was about 13, and WOW, now I have both. So my hair looked very cool, but it was very crusty to touch it! (haha)

After it was all done, we took these photos and told him we would email the pictures. He then told a few ladies (in Bosnian) who were waiting for haircuts that I have something on my head. I clarified that it is a birthmark, but I felt a bit “exposed” and I didn’t know why random ladies need to know about the condition of my scalp. But there are no secrets here…

Before I left the shop, the stylist forbid me from wearing my hat (luckily it was late in the day and not too sunny!).

No comments:

About Me

I am currently pursuing a PhD in Social Welfare at Berkeley, concentrating in local, national and international responses to large-scale disasters, wars, and genocide. To me, social work is not a job. It is a way of life, a faith, and a daily practice. My mother is a social worker and I was instilled with social work values as a young child. I carry those values of respect and compassion for other human beings, the importance of service and integrity, and these values lead me to endorse Barack Obama for President of the United States. Barack Obama represents a new and positive vision for the future of America. He is honest, hard-working, and unafraid to face the nuanced and complex problems of our country and our interconnected world. I am proud to support a candidate who will truly bring change for the American people and for all members of the world community.

What did you know about Bosnia before Ruby took this trip?