Thursday, July 19, 2007

New Hostel

We moved to a new hostel last night which is cheaper and we each have our own room and bathroom. Mine even has a big bathtub (but no shower curtain, so the floor is now a small swamp post-shower!). The wireless is not working, though, which is a big bummer. But they say a guy is coming some time today to fix it. Apparently we are only the second people to even want to use the wireless, so we are the test subjects it seems.

On to other things…

We had a nice meeting yesterday with a woman named Jasna whom we met at the conference. She works for the University of Sarajevo Institute for the Research of Crimes Against Humanity and International Law, and she gave us a ton of good advice about how to go about conducting our respective projects. She also gave us some more contact information for women’s groups that might be good collaborators for us.

We also visited the library of the Institute and I left some flyers for my books in the library. Sarah is going to read my book and then donate her copy to the library when she is done, which makes me feel very good. I wish I had more copies—they went like hot cakes as soon as I offered them to the conference participants.

After all this excitement, we met with a translator whom Sarah may hire for her project. It was very interesting to sit in on the meeting, and the woman Lejla is very smart, beautiful, and speaks impeccable English. She is a student and spent last year studying in the US at the University of Georgia. Being able to vicariously experience the process of setting up a research project here in Bosnia has been very helpful for me in terms of thinking about my own project, both process and budget. All together, being part of Sarah’s process has been very useful and encouraging to me.

Yesterday I also bought an incredible book that one of the conference participants recommended to me. It is called Zlata’s Diary, and it is the diary of an 11-year old girl living in Sarajevo during the war. Many people have compared to Anne Frank’s Diary and certainly there are parallels. I have almost finished it, because it is a fast read (although upsetting to hear about the war from a child’s perspective). I highly recommend reading it if you have a chance. It is widely available and I am sure they have it on Amazon or at your local bookstore.

No comments:

About Me

I am currently pursuing a PhD in Social Welfare at Berkeley, concentrating in local, national and international responses to large-scale disasters, wars, and genocide. To me, social work is not a job. It is a way of life, a faith, and a daily practice. My mother is a social worker and I was instilled with social work values as a young child. I carry those values of respect and compassion for other human beings, the importance of service and integrity, and these values lead me to endorse Barack Obama for President of the United States. Barack Obama represents a new and positive vision for the future of America. He is honest, hard-working, and unafraid to face the nuanced and complex problems of our country and our interconnected world. I am proud to support a candidate who will truly bring change for the American people and for all members of the world community.

What did you know about Bosnia before Ruby took this trip?